Saturday, March 10, 2012

Life Lessons and Speeding Seeds

     So, here it is day two of my new found outlet of my old love of writing, in the new format of blogging.  And I already have something to say.  Imagine that. 
     I got a speeding ticket today.  Yep. My first one in over 30 years and only my second one, ever --  In the presence of my 16 year old son, no less, who is working to become an independent driver.  Ironically, I am the driving rule follower that sets my cruise control so I don't speed.  When I give people directions to my house, I'm always saying about a particular road: Speed limit is 25 mph..make sure you go the speed limit! 
     We were driving to the SAT test, late, and I'm was going a different road than I had planned on going, but we left late, so I thought this might be quicker. I really wasn't rushing, though I obviously wasn't paying attention to my speedometer -- probably because said son and I were having a 'discussion' about being on time and remembering items that 'we' need to bring with us so we don't have to rush and the like.  I saw police car lights behind me and thought:  "Oh great, now we have to pull over, now we'll be late."  And then, he pulled in behind me, to which I then commented, "Wait!  It's me he's after.  What did I do?"  I truly had no idea.   And then, I commented, "Well, now we're really late; no SAT today."  Officer, I forget his name, came up to my car window, and there I sit, my blonde, tired, tousled, no-coffee-yet self, dumb as a stick thinking, "What did I do?"  He proceeds to tell me I was going 42 in a 25 mph area...I proceeded to respond with shock and dismay (which was real and not acting) and explained that I had no idea and that we were running late for my son's SAT test and that we were arguing about being late.  Said son was sitting in the passenger seat with calculator, pencils and SAT admission ticket in his lap -- granted he looked like a wild beast since he, too, was just recently awake, with massively scruffy beard and unruly hair from the Pirates of Penzance play that had just completed it's run last night...looking very UNlike a studious young man trying to make it to his SAT. 
     Now, had I had my wits about me, or any bit of acting ability like the Pirate King sitting next to me, perhaps I would have conjured up tears and fantastic reasons for my scattered brains and lack of obedience with the speeding laws such as:  "My darling mother-in-law passed away just a few weeks ago and I've been so distracted, and my son just finished a show last night and we were both exhausted, and I haven't had a speeding ticket in 30 years and am that kind of woman that sets my cruise control to make sure I don't speed and please, please couldn't he just give me a warning so we don't miss the SAT that my son is already a bit late for...see?  There's the admission ticket in his hand, and by the way, we're getting a haircut and shave on the way home since the play is now over..." and looked at him with quivering, uncontrolled lip and tear filled eyes.
       Oh wait, all that is true. And I did do, say, cry all that AFTER he gave me the ticket. 
       My timing always has been off.
       After all was said and done and he meandered on his merry way to find another recipient of his Saturday morning gift of a speeding ticket, I just couldn't stop crying. I think the stress of the last three weeks finally came crashing down upon my head and emotions -- all over a stupid speeding ticket. Yes. I said the "S" word.  Stupid.  
       My poor son didn't know what to do with me.  He finally had to drive so we could be safe since I just couldn't stop blubbering. I started, then, to chastise myself for being one of those 'women who cry over a speeding ticket'.  'Get a grip' I kept telling myself.  But I couldn't.  It took awhile, but I finally stopped.  My son offered to pay the $50 for the SAT test we missed, since, as he admitted, he was the one that made us leave late;  I felt that was very mature of him, and that set me to crying, again.  What a girl.
       Well, "they" say, all things work for good, right?  Oh wait, that wasn't 'they' that said that, It was Him.  That's from the Bible, inspired by God:  "All things work for the good for those who love the Lord", Romans 8:28. 
        While I'm pretty sure points on my license and a hefty fine is not good, I can already see some good that will come out of this. I saw a tender, understanding side of my son. I saw a forgiving, supportive side of my husband.  My new driver saw that you don't drive when you're rushed or distracted, that leaving early has it's reasons including not needing to be rushed or distracted. The same teen son saw that speeding does indeed equal a ticket even if you never, ever, speed...that you always have to be diligent in paying attention to the law, and that regardless of the excuses or reasons or circumstances that a law is a law and there are consequences.
         That lesson in and of itself can now translate into our lives.  God means what
He says. There is grace, mercy and forgiveness. But there are also consequences to choices, decisions, or just lack of focus.  Same in parenting and being a kid:  Parents should mean what they say.  There is grace, and mercy, and forgiveness, but there need to be consequences to choices, decisions, or just lack of focus.  That's life.  It is my job as a mom, after all, to help my boys learn about life before they are out on their own. To love them, protect them, help them, encourage them, uplift them, discipline them, and....to let them deal with the consequences of bad habits, unwise choices, or just plain lack of focus. 
          So, my stepping stone today could translate into a quite expensive one, but it is already morphing into one that I will, I think, bring good along with it.  Maybe this will be a little flower seed that was dropped by the stone that will eventually grow into something beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. I was seriously teary with you...totally understand the emotions here. Well, from my perspective anyway.

    ReplyDelete